We bought our house a little under a year ago. One feature that sold us on this particular home was the light. All of the rooms on the front of the house have huge windows. The house is east facing so we get the morning sun spilling throughout the home. Bug’s room, however, is hit pretty hard by Mr. Sunshine and has the tendency to heat up. For the bulk of the time, the heating hasn’t mattered. For one, Bug slept in our room until he was four months old. Moreover, he slept anywhere and would nap in whatever room I was working. Additionally, it was winter, so the extra heat was a bonus. However, once the weather warmed and Bug started napping in his own room, we noticed that the nursery would turn into a sauna with the door closed (which is necessary for naptime). We needed curtains.
Eventually, we bought curtain rods. A month later, we installed the rods. For months after that, we combated the heat and the light streaming onto Bug’s face by hanging blanket over the rod on one side of the window. Why couldn’t we just buy curtains? Because they are too darn expensive! (I refuse to spend $60 on two sheets of fabric for a child’s room) Additionally, I had the exact color I wanted in mind and I couldn’t find those colored curtains anywhere. Initially I thought my curtains from college (the right color!) would suit perfectly, but, as it would turn out, I only bought one panel and we needed two. I spent hours searching online (I’m a huge e-shopper; it’s so much easier with a wee one) but the only curtains that suited the nursery tended to be foufy and pompom filled.
Finally, I decided to make curtains myself. But a trip to the fabric store proved frustrating and I gave up. I compromised on color and ordered some light blue/gray panels from WalMart. However, when they arrived, they were so dark in color that the little girl who I was babysitting asked me, “Why did you buy black curtains?” Nope. Not working. The next time I went to the fabric store, I bought my supplies.
It took a couple of weeks, squeezing in sewing during naps and after bedtime, but I finally finished! And they look good! Are they perfect? No. Are all the seams perfectly straight? No–but you can only tell when you’re up close. Are both panels the same length? YES! Will they fulfill their purpose? Absolutely!
I’ve only made curtains once before. That was back when I was in high school and my first year of college boyfriend wanted some for his dorm room (in this case, he liked to sleep a little too much and wanted something to block out the sun while he slept during the day–so he had me make black curtains). My sewing-wiz of a mother held my hand through the process, consulting her handy curtain-making book regularly. This time, Mother was on vacation so there was no sewing wiz or pamphlet for guidance…so I made it up as I went along! Which, consequently, makes me feel even prouder of myself!
If you find yourself sewing curtains, know that the secret is IRONING! a task which I particularly hate, but it’s crucial for a good outcome.
Should you be interested, here’s the plan I developed and followed for making Bug’s new curtains.
- Bought two 2.5 yards of fabric
- Ironed (I focused on one panel at a time because they would get wrinkled in between sewing sessions)
- Fold over sides (the length of the curtains) 0.5″ and iron
- Fold and pin sides at 1″ then iron and stitch (I liked to sew a handful of stitches, reverse, and then start the seam)
- For the top, fold edge 0.5″ and iron. Fold and pin at 2″ then iron and stitch (2″ should be plenty for any rod, but double check)
- For the bottom, fold edge 0.5″ and iron. Fold and pin at 3″ then iron and stitch.
- Voila! Curtains!