This weekend I made my trusty old Oatmeal Honey soap. However, I used a newer recipe and a brand new texturing technique. The recipe was the same as the one that seized during my first attempt. This attempt went so much better and I reached a beautiful level of trace with no problem. When unmolding, the soap was a bit stickier than I prefer, but I’ll attribute the stickiness to the honey. Hopefully, it will firm up with a bit more sitting.
I’m most excited about the texturing. Typically, I top off my Oatmeal Honey soap with oats. However, sometimes the oats start to fall off and they make cutting slightly challenging. A few years ago my friend gave me a soap that looked like a honeycomb. I attributed its appearance to a special mold until doing a bit more research. I found that I could make my own honeycomb soap using bubble wrap!
After pouring my soap, I lightly pushed the bubble wrap into the top of the soap and then left the batch alone to saponify and harden. When it was ready to unmold and slice, I gently pulled the wrap off and voila! the soap looks like a honeycomb! You can see where a few of the bubbles must have been popped so next time I’ll need to make sure the wrap is completely intact. Overall, however, I think it looks great!